Web Hosting For Dummies – 10 Things You Need To Know
If you are reading this article there is a good likely hood that you are looking to start your first website. When you are unfamiliar with the latest “technological lingo” the internet can often prove to be a scary world.
Creating your first website is actually VERY easy and you will be shocked by how quickly you can get your first website on the web for all to see. I have wrote this real quick guide to helping you understand exactly what web hosting is and what you should look for when choosing a host.
10 Things A Beginner Should Know About Web Hosting
- Web hosting is required in order to have a website on the internet. The fact of the matter is there is no way around this, if you want a site or a blog you have to have hosting. Web hosting is like renting a house, if you want to have a place to live you are going to have to pay rent. If you want a place for your website to live, you are going to have to pay rent for you space.
- Every beginner always looks to find “free web hosting”, in fact, for my very first website this is what I tried to do. Listen to me, DO NOT waste your time looking for free hosting. Free hosting is available but with many bad consequences. First, free web hosting is a MAJOR security risk. When you sign up for free hosting you are giving the hosting provider free access to your website to place spammy banners and links on your site. Second, you will be given a crappy domain name. Third, the company will likely sell your e-mail address to others in order to make money on you. There are many great web hosting providers that offer professional web hosting for under $4 a month and that is the route you need to take.
- Unless you plan to host a site with thousands of video files you do not need fancy and expensive hosting. Just sign up for a basic shared web hosting package from a company like Hostmonster or Bluehost.
- Utilize sites like AlreadyHosting.com that can provide you with user reviews and testimonials for the web’s most popular web hosting providers.
- The easist way to build your first site will be to utilize the free application called, WordPress. We have written a really detailed guide that outlines how to create a site using WordPress. This will be a great resource for you.
- If you are worried about protecting your privacy when signing up for web hosting there is a easy way to know if you are being protected. When it comes time to enter your credit card information look at the top address bar, if the address bar starts with “https://” your private information is being protected, if it is starting with “https://” you should be very leary about entering private information.
- Don’t be afraid to call customer support if you are having issues. When you are buying web hosting you are not only buying the space but you are also paying for support. If you have questions pick up the phone and call you web hosting provider.
- Do not sign up for a host unless they provide 24/7 customer support. If a host does not offer customer support 24/7 they are not a reliable host.
- Most hosting providers offer at least a 30-day money back guarantee; however, a few select hosts like Justhost offer an anytime money back guarantee. So you really can’t go wrong, if you are leary about the process just go ahead an give it a shot… If you can’t figure things out in 30 days just ask for your money back.
- Make sure you check out our web hosting reviews before signing up for hosting because it can save you a lot of money! We have teamed up with multiple web hosting providers to offer you special discounts on hosting. For example, the normal rate for Hostmonster web hosting is $5.95 a month; however, we can offer you the exact same hosting for only $3.95 a month! Well worth your time.